We are currently hiring a Hospice Aide to care for terminally ill patients at The Kaplan Family Hospice Residence located in Newburgh, NY.
Part-Time, 11:00 PM-7:00 AM, includes every other weekend and 3 Hospice-recognized holidays per year.
Candidate will be responsible for providing direct patient care to end-of-life patients.
Individual must be self-motivated, compassionate, and able to work well with others. Must also be reliable and possess good time management skills.
Minimal one year experience working as a CNA or HHA.
Hospice/Homecare experience a plus.
Must have a current, valid NY State CNA certificate with the ability to be transitioned to Home Health Aide or a HHA certificate and currently employed or have worked for a Home Health Care Agency as a Home Health Aide within the last twelve months and must be current on all mandated inservice requirements.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities
- Establishes priorities and organizes work and time appropriately.
- Anticipates problems and modifies plans and procedures to provide solutions.
- Assists patient with appropriate hygiene and grooming inclusive of bed bath, sponge, tub, or shower; hair shampoo; nail and skin care; oral hygiene; toileting/assistance with elimination; and assistance with dressing.
- Assists with restorative nursing procedures-e.g.; range of motion.
- Assists with activities of daily living (i.e. doing laundry).
- Sees that general nutritional needs are met through feeding the patient if necessary, and clean up.
- Offers the patient adequate fluids and records fluid intake if directed by RN/LPN.
- Provides safe transfer techniques in and out of bed, to chair or wheelchair, to commode, and in and out of tub. Safely utilize mechanical lifts.
- Assists patient with proper positioning and safe ambulation.
- Observes and reports changes in patient’s or family attitudes which may be indicative of social or other problem.
- Assists the patient with activities and exercises as specifically designated for each patient.
- Observes and reports changes in body functions to the nurse in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates effective observation, reporting and documentation skills.
- Adheres to procedures of Standard Precautions and Basic Infection Control designated to prevent and control the spread of disease as it applies to health regulations and agency policies and procedures.
- Recognizes emergencies and is aware of procedures to follow in case of an emergency.
- Is respectful of a patient’s privacy and property.
- Maintains a clean, safe environment, changing bed linens and making beds, organizing/removal of materials.
- Successful completion of an approved Home Health Care training program with a current New York State Home Health Aide Certificate and a current New York State Certified Nurses Aide certificate. Minimum age of 18, and be a mature, emotionally and mentally stable with experience in personal care and/or homemaking.
- Prolonged or considerable walking or standing.
- Able to lift, position and/or transfer patients.
- Able to lift supplies and equipment
- Considerable reaching, stooping bending, kneeling and/or crouching, visual acuity and hearing to perform required skills.
Hospice is an equal opportunity employer.
Reliable transportation a must.