Dear Auxiliary Members,
The end of summer also brings with it the start of new things: the start of a new season, the start of a new school year and for the Hospice Auxiliary, a NEW NAME FOR OUR ORGANIZATION. The Hospice Auxiliary of Orange and Sullivan Counties will become the FRIENDS OF HOSPICE OF ORANGE & SULLIVAN COUNTIES.
It should be noted that our organization’s mission HAS NOT CHANGED. Rather, simply stated our structure will be streamlined. Further, our main goal is to broaden our membership makeup by appealing to a larger part of the community.
You will be receiving a copy of the proposed By-Law and Constitutional changes that are required to be voted on in order for our organization to proceed. I ask that you give your attention to this and take the time to vote.
The accomplishments of Hospice Auxiliary of Orange and Sullivan Counties since its inception, I believe, have far exceeded what the original founders could have hoped for. It is my hope that the Friends of Hospice will continue down this path.
Current President of Hospice Auxiliary
FRIENDS OF HOSPICE OF ORANGE & SULLIVAN COUNTIES CONSTITUTION
The name of this organization shall be: “Friends of Hospice of Orange & Sullivan Counties” (Friends). The Friends is a division of Hospice of Orange & Sullivan Counties, Inc. (“Hospice OS”).
The Friends shall promote and advance the purposes and welfare of Hospice OS as set forth in the Certificate of Incorporation of Hospice OS, as from time to time amended by the Board of Directors of Hospice OS. The objectives shall be accomplished through promotion of Hospice OS and its patients and through fundraising programs directed toward the community.
1. Membership in the Friends shall be open to all who are interested in Hospice OS and its mission. The Friends shall be noncommercial, nonsectarian, and nonpartisan. Any member in good standing shall have the right to vote, participate in meetings and hold office in the Friends
2. The Friends Board of Directors shall determine annual dues for members.
Board of Directors
1. The Board of Directors shall consist of the officers of the Friends Executive Committee and chairmen of the standing committees. The President and CEO of Hospice OS shall be an ex-officio member of the Board of Directors of the Friends.
2. The duties of the Board of Directors shall be
(a) To transact necessary business of the Friends;
(b) To present a report at the regular meetings of the members and of the Board of Directors of Friends, and through its President, report quarterly to the Board of Directors of Hospice OS.
3. Regular meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held at such times as determined by the Board, the time to be fixed by the Board at its first meeting of the year. The Friends Board of Directors shall have at least six (6) meetings each year on a day chosen by the President. Special meetings of the Board of Directors may be called by the President or by a majority of the members of the Board.
4. Action of the Board shall be by majority vote when a quorum is present. A majority of the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum.
Officers and Their Election
1. The Board of Directors shall be the President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Immediate Past President, and Standing Committee Chairmen.
2. The Executive Committee consists of the Officers of the Friends less the Standing Committee Chairmen.
3. Officers shall be elected by the Board of Directors bi-annually by a date determined by the Board of Directors of the Friends. Officers shall serve in their elected positions for a term of two (2) years or until the election and qualification of their successors. A member of the Executive Committee may not serve more than two (2) consecutive terms in the same office.
4. A vacancy occurring in any office shall be filled for the unexpired term by a person elected by a majority vote of the Board of Directors of the Friends.
The fiscal year for the Friends shall be the calendar year.
Duties of Officers
1. The President of the Friends shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the Friends and, preside at all meetings of the Friends, the Executive Committee, and the Board of Directors at which time he/she may be present, shall appoint all Committee Chairmen and shall also perform such other duties as the Friends Board of Directors shall designate. The President shall be an ex-officio member of all committees except the Nominating Committee. The President shall have the authority to approve invoices for Friends expenses for payment by Hospice OS. The President shall report quarterly on the activities of the Friends to the Hospice OS Board of Directors.
2. The Vice-President shall perform the duties of the President during his/her absence or inability to act. He/she shall also perform such other duties as the President and the Board of Directors shall designate.
3. The Secretary shall record the minutes of all meetings of the Friends, the Executive Committee, and the Friends Board of Directors. The records shall be open at all times to reasonable inspection by any member of the Friends. The Secretary shall write all communications and correspondence of the Friends for the Board of Directors, Executive Committee and Standing or Special Committees when required and maintain an accurate file of all such correspondence executed. The Secretary shall act as Historian for the Friends.
4. The Treasurer shall be the Chief Fiscal Officer of the Friends and shall with the Fundraising department of Hospice OS keep a full and accurate account of receipts and expenditures. The Treasurer shall report monthly to the Friends Board of Directors.
5. The Immediate Past President shall advise the President and serve as counselor to the Board of Directors.
Standing and Special Committees
1. There shall be such standing committees as are necessary to conduct the business and program of the Friends. The President shall appoint the Chairman of each committee. The term of each Officer shall be two (2) years. The personnel of each committee, excluding the Nominating Committee and Executive Committee, shall consist of such members as designated by the Chairman.
2. The Chairman of each committee shall report at such times as the President may designate. Standing committee chairmen shall submit a written report one month before the annual meeting.
3. No committee work shall be undertaken without the consent of the Executive Committee.
4. Special Committees may be created as needed by the President with the approval of the Executive Committee.
1. The Chairman of the Nominating Committee for the Officers shall be appointed by the President of the Friends.
2. The Nominating Committee shall be formed at least 3 months prior to the Annual Meeting, and shall give full consideration to all eligible candidates for office with due regard for the requirements of the offices to be filled.
3. Further nominations may be made from the floor at the annual meeting.
The Annual Meeting of the members of the Friends shall be held each year by a date determined by the Board of Directors of the Friends. Written notice of the Annual Meeting shall be sent to each member at least fifteen (15) days prior to the meeting. The Board of Directors may call additional meetings. The agenda at the Annual Meeting shall include annual reports of the officers and committees and such other matters as shall properly come before the meeting including election of officers for the ensuing year.
“Robert’s Rules of Order, Revised” shall govern the Friends.
These By-Laws may be amended, repealed, or altered in whole or in part by a vote of the majority of the membership present, voting at any regular or special meeting of the Friends, providing that the amendment shall have been approved by a majority of the Board of Directors of the Friends and that notice shall have been sent to the entire membership before the meeting at which the amendment is to be presented.