Facility and Home Health Care That Focuses on Quality of Life
Hospice of Orange and Sullivan Counties provides care in the home, nursing home, hospital, adult care facility or in the Kaplan Family Hospice Residence. We offer palliative care (comfort care), rather than curative treatment with an approach that focuses on relieving and preventing the suffering in all areas of a patient’s life. Hospice care is provided through an interdisciplinary, medically directed team. This team approach to care typically includes a physician, a nurse, a home health aide, a social worker, a chaplain and a volunteer. This multidisciplinary approach allows the palliative care team to address physical, emotional, spiritual and social concerns that arise with advanced illness.
Home Health Care Nurses On Call 24-Hours a Day
The hospice nurse makes regularly scheduled visits to the patient providing expert pain management and symptom control techniques. Throughout the time that the patient is under the care of hospice, the nurse keeps the primary physician informed of the patient’s condition. Nurses provide the complete spectrum of skilled nursing care and are on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week to answer any questions, provide support or make emergency visits.
Hospice care includes:
- A registered nurse visits once or twice a week with a focus on comfort care
- Pain and symptom management
- Patient/family instructions on care
- All medicines related to the advanced illness are covered by Hospice
- Medical equipment, bed, oxygen, wheelchair, commode, nebulizer, suction, etc.
- Certified Social Workers visit once or twice a month
- Spiritual care
- Home health aide services as needed and when available
- Bereavement support, available to general public free of charge
- Volunteer services to patients/families
An Integrative Medicine Approach
As a type of patient-centered care, palliative care focuses on the whole patient: mind, body and spirit. Some of the tools utilized to help patients find the relief, comfort and strength they need to
carry on their daily lives include integrative medicine. Following are some therapies that patients may ask to include in their hospice care plan:
- Massage therapy
- Music therapy
- Pet visits